I started blogging properly about 4 months ago. When I started, nobody was reading my blog as, for all intents and purposes, it didn’t exist. I worked hard on a daily basis (just like all other beauty bloggers) to try my best to post content that I thought was interesting and worthy of a read. I studied other bloggers furiously, trying to find out how they managed to develop a readership and a following of people who genuinely valued what they had to say.
Being beauty obsessed, I thought that writing about it would be the absolute dream and I was right as I honestly love it so very much. I look forward to receiving e-mails, comments and views regarding things I’ve written and I love the beauty blogger Twitter community that I’ve managed to become a part of. I’ve met some amazing people, some of whom I speak to more often than my own mother. If you’re in two minds about whether to start a beauty blog, I strongly suggest you do as it’s such a rewarding and fulfilling experience that I enjoy every single day. I seriously cannot get enough of it.
Anyway, I’ve digressed a bit, as the point of this letter is to update people on what’s happening with the competitions I run. Originally, I started running competitions with the hope that it would bring more of an audience to my blog. I hoped that people would find my blog through hearing about the competition I ran, read something they liked and hopefully consider me in the future for more reading. I’d say that about 70% of people who have arrived here from competitions did exactly that, and thankfully now I have regular readers (which still blows my mind, so thank you so much to those of you who regular check-in here) but the other 30% are you, Compers. Compers are people who arrive here purely for the competition. They do all they’re supposed to do, they join the site and leave the comment, then I never hear from them again. This is proved by the fact that on several occasions I’ve drawn winners for competitions and they haven’t come forward.
Having spoken to a few other bloggers about this, I can’t help but feel a level of anger towards you, compers, as you are taking advantage of bloggers by disregarding the aim of the competition. Unfortunately, my competition has shown up on some competition sites. Whilst I didn’t think this was a bad thing at first, it’s attracted the wrong type of people; people who are only interested in the competition and not the blog itself. I understand that mentality for bigger brands who have money at their disposal for things such as advertising and promotional competitions, but for average Jo’s like me and other small bloggers, we are doing our blog out of love and since we love our blog, we hope that others will come across it and love it too.
Therefore, my competitions from now on are going to be to acknowledge and thank those who are already following my blog/Twitter/Facebook page, or those who intend to. I will ensure that my competitions do not end up on comping sites (if they do, I’ll request they are taken down) and I will be suspicious of anyone who appears to be a Comper. I hate the idea of penalising anyone who visits my blog, but it’s heartbreaking when I excitedly release the results of a competition, just to find nobody comes forward.
For those Compers who have become regular readers, please know that this is not directed at you. I thank you from the top, bottom and every other side of my heart for helping me realise the joy of writing a blog that is regularly read.
As a final thought, if you’re a comper, please don’t take advantage of us bloggers. We’re not in it for the money, we’re in it for the love, so please respect that and don’t take advantage of our passion. If in doubt, move along.
With warmest regards,
Beauty Geek xx
P.S. Here’s a picture of my Pug to soften the mood a little:
Yes, she really is that cute. No photoshopping needed.